We’re super excited to be able to investigate this house, we’re the first group ever to be allowed to carry out a ghost hunt in the property! How cool is that!?
Your Ghost Hunt at Kell House Museum
Join us as we investigate this 100+ year-old house, the home of Frank Kell, who along with his brother-in-law Joseph A. Kemp, was one of the two principal entrepreneurs in the early development of Wichita Falls, Texas.
It has long been rumored to be one of the most haunted places in all of Wichita Falls, with one legend that gets talked about more than any other, the statue of Flora Kemp (the daughter of Joseph Kemp) at Riverside Cemetery.
Flora’s monument at Riverside Cemetery is known in local lore as “The Crying Bride” because some have claimed to see the statue shed tears. Legend has it that the statue cries because Flora Kemp tripped on her wedding day while descending the elegant curving stairs in the Kell House, broke her neck and died. But according to mixed reports, Kemp actually died of typhoid in 1910, a year after the neoclassical Kell House was built.
Perhaps we’ll get to the bottom of this local legend once and for all and find out whether the spirit of Flora is returning to her monument, and whether it is her that haunts the Kell House amongst many other reported spirits.
Most of the ghost stories are the typical things you hear – people seeing figures in windows when the house is locked up tight; volunteers hearing doors open and close, footsteps, and voices in other rooms; small items being moved overnight or, in one instance, between one tour and the next on the same day; and lights turning on when no one is in the house!
Both Mrs. Kell and her daughter, Willie May, passed away in the house, and it hosted five funerals while the Kell family still owned it.
In 1896, Kell moved from Bosque County in Central Texas to Wichita Falls. Prior to the construction of The Kell House, the family lived in another residence on Scott Street. Kell purchased the land on the bluff overlooking downtown Wichita Falls, hence the address of 900 Bluff Street. Kell’s sister-in-law was the contractor on the Victorian home. Construction of the two-story dwelling began in 1908 and was completed in 1910, after it had already been occupied by the Kell family.
The house is just east of the Central Freeway. Lula Kemp Kell (1866-1957), Kell’s widow, remained in the home until her death. The Kells had six daughters and one son, Joseph Archibald Kell (1895-1939), the victim of an automobile accident. Their only unmarried daughter, Willie May Kell (1888-1980), occupied the house until her death.
- Paranormal investigation class
- Full night of ghost hunting with the team
- Use of our equipment which includes, trigger objects and EMF Meters,
- Free time to investigate at the end of the night!
- Snacks and drinks provided all night!