If you’re looking to find the most haunted cemeteries in America, then Central City Masonic is definitely towards the top of that list! It’s regarded by many as one of the most haunted places in Colorado.
It is reported that every 5th of April and 1st of November, a beautiful woman is wearing a black satin dress appears and lays flowers on the grave of John Edward Cameron. John Edward Cameron died on the 1st of November 1885, and there are many rumors regarding the connection between him and the woman. Once twelve people gathered on Cameron’s grave, waiting for the spirit of the woman to appear. To the amazement of the men, at sunset, the beautiful lady appeared! When one of the men tried to grab her, she flew off and suddenly vanished.
People say that the lady planted the rosebush, which bloomed every spring besides Cameron’s grave. She stopped coming in June 1888, but two years later, the sexton saw her again. She placed a bouquet of columbines on the grave and disappeared towards Bald Mountain. November 1 was the date when the young bachelor died of paralysis of the heart. Many young ladies in town had their eyes set on the sought after bachelor, but their beauty did not tempt John. It is rumored that he had his eyes set on a lady who lived near Bald Mountain, the lady who continues to visit him to this day.
Located 35 miles west of Denver with an elevation of 8,496 feet, Central City was discovered by John Gregory. Within two weeks, hundreds of people arrived, which began the Gold Rush. Within two months, the population grew to more than 10,000 people, all of whom were seeking a better future.
Central City was born when William Byers of the Rocky Mountain News and his companions pitched a tent on an open square in the center of what was once was the mining district. Central City came to be known as “The Richest Square Mile on Earth.” There is a stone monument located on the eastern side of the city, commemorating this important event.
In 1874, a great fire destroyed most of the buildings in Central City. The town was rebuilt, and sturdier materials were used, such as stone and brick, which people see today.
The cemetery began in the 1860s shortly after the gold rush brought a lot of people to the area. The damage seen on the cemetery today is due to decay and not due to vandalism.