8 Most Haunted Places in Maryland

Maryland is a state that sits on the East coast of the United States. The state, which joined the Union in 1788, is well known for Baltimore, the Chesapeake Bay, and shores along the Atlantic Ocean. Maryland is also home to Annapolis, Edgar Allen Poe, Babe Ruth, and crabs. People do not just visit Maryland for its amazing crab cakes, amazing coastlines, views, and historical sites. People also flock to the state to see some of the most haunted places in Maryland and the United States.

This compilation of eight different haunted locations includes destinations where history was made, where people went to get help, and other locations people just enjoy seeing.

Without further adieu, let’s get right in to the list of the most haunted places in Maryland:

8 – Point Lookout Lighthouse, Scotland

point-lookout-lighthouse-scotland

In Scotland, Maryland is one of the most haunted locations in the state, Point Lookout Lighthouse. Point Lookout has been home to countless tragedies and disasters. The area served as a prisoner of war camp, a hospital during the Civil War era, a hotel destroyed by a fire, and a lookout point during the Revolutionary War. In 1830 construction on the Point Lookout Lighthouse completed and it became a functional lighthouse.

In the years since its construction the lighthouse has been home to an extraordinary amount of hauntings. A man in Civil War era clothing is one of the most frequently seen ghosts. He is said to be in horrible physical shape, smells of gunpowder and mildew, and it is believed he was attempting to free himself from the Smallpox unit that once stood in the area. Another ghost is that of an elderly woman who appears to be looking for something on the beach. It is believed she is looking for a missing gravestone. Within the lighthouse people have captured voices on their recorders, ghosts of wounded Union soldiers have been spotted and temperatures drop dramatically.

7 – Fletchertown Road, Bowie

fletchertown-road-bowie

Fletchertown Road is the home to an urban legend. It is said that the Goat Man lurks in the area. According to stories, the Goat Man escaped from the Department of Agriculture Research Center. As the name suggests he is supposedly half-human half-animal.  The urban legend goes on to say that for two decades, the 1950s and 60s, the Goat Man murdered people who traveled the road with an ax. After murdering them he would eat his victims. To this day people claim to have seen the head of a goat, or a man in tattered clothing in the area.

6 – Dr. Samuel A. Mudd’s House, Waldorf

samuel-mudds-house-waldorf

Dr. Samuel A. Mudd was the doctor that treated John Wilks Booth for his broken leg after he assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. John Wilks Booth received treatment at Dr. Mudd’s home. Believing he was a co-conspirator in the assassination of President Lincoln, Dr. Mudd was tried and ended up spending years in prison. Thanks to his wife’s tireless efforts, Dr. Mudd received a pardon from President Andrew Johnson and returned to his home. Dr. Samuel A. Mudd’s house is now a museum and historical sight. Stories claim to see Dr. Mudd’s ghost wandering his property and the home. Other claims have stated the bed where Booth slept will show the impression of a body in the bed.

5 – Baltimore County Almhouse, Cockeysville

An image of the Baltimore County Almshouse. It was built in 1872 and now serves as the headquarters of the Baltimore County Historical Society.

When the Baltimore County Almhouse opened in 1874 it was to serve as a home for the elderly, the mentally unwell, the indigent, and children. An addition was made to the Almhouse which house prisoners. People who have spent any time at the Almhouse have made claims of assorted paranormal activity. Some people claim that if you visit the third floor you may hear the voices of women talking. Other people have stated that they have heard the sound of children in the building playing. Further claims state that it is possible to see the faces of children not only in the windows of the house when standing outside but throughout the interior.

4 – Glenn Dale Hospital, Glenn Dale

glenn-dale-hospital

The Glenn Dale Hospital in Maryland opened its doors in the 1930s to treat and house people who suffered from tuberculosis. Adults and children called the hospital home for decades. The adults and children were located in different areas of the hospital. There are also narrow tunnels under the hospital. Stories say that when Glenn Dale was a functioning facility the patients endured torture and experimental treatments.  Eventually in 1984 the hospital was closed. People brave enough to investigate the hospital have reported hearing strange noises, yelling, banging, and even laughter. Others have reported smelling burning flesh. The ghosts of patients as well as dogs have been seen. One of the saddest stories is attached to a man seen in a straightjacket in one of the rooms. It is believed he killed himself after being unable to live with the guilt of not saving the family he watched get murdered.

3 – St Paul’s Cemetery, Chestertown

st-pauls-cemetery-chestertown

In Chestertown, Maryland is the old St. Paul’s Cemetery. The cemetery dates back to the 1700s and is said to be the location of regular paranormal activity. Some of the activity may be the results of the casualties buried in the cemetery following the battle of Caulk’s Field during the War of 1812. Graves belonging to Union and Confederate soldiers are also in the cemetery. The ghost of Tench Tilghman is seen at the bridge of the edge of the cemetery. He was an officer during the Revolutionary War. Sometimes when it is especially dark, people have claimed to see his lantern crossing the same bridge his ghost is believed to haunt. The most famous grave at the cemetery with paranormal activity is that of actress Tallulah Bankhead. People claim you can hear her raspy voice if you lay on the slab that covers her grave. Odd items are also found on her slab, which includes empty vodka bottles and beads.

2 – Lord Baltimore Hotel, Baltimore (Book Now)

lord-baltimore-hotel

The Lord Baltimore Hotel opened on December 30, 1928. The hotel was designed by William Lee Stoddard but was Harry Busick’s brainchild. Upon completion the steel framed structure with a brick veneer was the largest hotel in all of Maryland. Following Busick’s death, his three sons sold the hotel to H.R. Weissberg for $7 million. As a result of filing bankruptcy in 1967, Weissberg had to put the hotel up for auction in 1969. In 1958, despite the failure of the Baltimore City Council to pass legislation to end racial segregation in public accommodations, the Lord Baltimore Hotel voluntarily ended its restrictive guest policies. Today, the Lord Baltimore Hotel is owned and operated by Rubell Hotels of Miami, Florida.

Visitors to the hotel have reported countless encounters with ghosts as well as other paranormal activity. Some guests have claimed that they had nightmares while staying in the hotel because they are sensitive to the presence of the paranormal. Others have claimed to feel as if they are being watched while asleep. People who have ridden in the elevator and been in the lobby say they sensation of being touched by a pair of hands has occurred. The elevator also randomly visits the 19th floor when no one pushes the button for that floor.  When on the 19th floor people have claimed to see the ghost of a little girl with a red ball, black shoes, and a long, cream-colored dress. Others have seen the girl crying, rocking back and forth, and screaming. In addition, the hotel’s supervisor has seen the ghosts of two adults on the 19th floor. Local legend states that a married couple committed suicide by jumping off the Lord Baltimore Hotel after the stock market crash of 1929, leaving behind a little girl. Many, including some of the hotel staff, believe that those are the ghosts guests see today.

1 – Maryland State House, Annapolis

maryland-state-house

The Maryland State House is a Georgian style building that took from 1772 to 1797 to complete. Joseph Horatio Anders designed the structure that has two stories, two arches windows framing the entrance, and a large dome. The structure also has a balcony, an octagonal drum, and there is also a lantern with a lightning rod on top. To add to the history of the Maryland State House, the lightning rod was made by Benjamin Franklin. The Maryland State House also has the distinction of serving as the United States capital from November 26th, 1783 to August 13th, 1784. Today, the Maryland State House is still used for legislative purposes.

With a long history of politics the Maryland State House is not devoid of paranormal activity. The most famous of all the hauntings and legends involves Thomas Dence. Dence served as a plasterer on the structure’s dome. While working Thomas Dence apparently fell to his death. People visit the State House annually to try to see his ghost wandering the grounds as well as the building. It is also believed that a soldier from the revolutionary war era wanders the grounds as well. A room in the structure that is famous for being the room where George Washington resigned is said to be haunted by an unknown spirit. Could Washington be haunting the old Senate chamber or is someone else making their presence known in that room. Other ghosts and spirits are believed to wander around the grounds and throughout the State House.

More Maryland Haunted Hotels

View All Haunted Hotels in Maryland

Other Haunted Locations: