One of the oldest state capitols in the country, Maryland State House in Annapolis is still in legislative use today. It is topped by the largest wooden dome in the US which is constructed without the use of nails.
The Maryland State House is no stranger to odd and ghostly stories. There is a popular legend which tells the story of plasterer named Thomas Dence, who once worked on the dome. He fell to his death and is reported to still be seen in the building and in the grounds until today. People from all over the country visit the state house annually to see him.
Construction of the Maryland State House began in 1772 and it was completed in 1797. The Georgian style structure has two stories and is located inside State Circle. It was designed by Joseph Horatio Anderson, an architect who was very popular during his time. There are two arched windows which frame the entrance of the building and there are also large rectangular windows on both floors.
The large dome has a balustraded balcony, an octagonal drum and a lantern which is capped by a lightning rod. The rod was constructed by no less than Benjamin Franklin. The dome of the famous statehouse has been depicted on the Maryland state quarter.
From the 26th of November 1783 to the 13th of August 1784, Maryland was the capital of the United States and the Congress of the Confederation met in the state house. The Governor’s Reception Room can be found on the second floor of the building and it is mainly used for ceremonial purposes and bill signings.